|POW camp Stalag VII A|
|A Brief History Information in four languages|
Shortly after the beginning of World War II in September
1939, a POW camp called
Kriegsgefangenen-Mannschafts-Stammlager (Stalag) VII
A was established north of Moosburg. Originally it was
planned for 10,000 prisoners, but at the end of the war
more than 70,000 Allied soldiers were detained in the main camp
and its labour kommandos. A total of 150.000 POWs passed through Stalag VII A.
In 1945 US troops occupied Moosburg and liberated the POWs. Until 1948 the camp served as Civilian Internment Camp No. 6 with up to 12,000 German prisoners who were accused of having supported the Nazi dictatorship.
German refugees settled in the former Stalag area from 1948 on. It developed into Moosburg's Neustadt (new town) with its craftsmen's workshops and commercial enterprises.
Since 1998, the Moosburg Online collects information
on the POW and internment camps and on the later history of
the area. We owe the Russian
version to the active participation of the Communal Net of
Chuvashia. Translation by Nadya Platonova,
Valentina Pavlova, and Tatyana Yegorova. Meanwhile, our
website consists of more than 900 pages and over 3000
Interested visitors of Moosburg Online are invited to share their knowledge or reminiscences of these topics with others. Just contact us:
|Stalag VII A (1939-1945)|
|Civilian Internment Camp No. 6 (1945-1948)|
|Moosburg's New Town (Since 1948)|
|Other POW Camps|
|Last update 12-7-2020 by © Team Moosburg Online - All rights reserved! - Datenschutz|